Sunday, September 4, 2011

DNA


When Cordel was younger and we started realizing how smart he is, everybody said, "Well, it's because you work with him so much. You have taught him so well!" And I suppose that's true to a point. But I refuse to take 100% of the credit. And this whole time I have been thinking how lucky I am to have a kid who the smarts just come easy to. And then Sydnie came along. And she is different in every way. Boy vs Girl. Brown hair and brown eyes vs blonde hair and blue eyes. Extremely shy vs totally out going. I never thought it possible to have 2 kids who are complete opposites. Except in one thing. Brain power. Hers is a little harder to see and to recognize. Mostly because she doesn't really speak to anyone but me, her daddy, and Grandma Kleis. But it is there. And in those quiet moments when she speaks to me about this or that, I am stunned at how her little brain is processing the world around her. She recently finished her Summer Bridge Book, a workbook designed to help kids hold onto the knowledge they gain during the school year through the summer. I bought her the Pre-K one, even though she still has another year before Kindergarten. And she finished it easily and with a confidence I rarely see in her. It was such a moment to celebrate for us. And again, I cannot take 100% of the credit. It's in their DNA.

No comments:

Post a Comment